Child support is often a critical divorce-related issue, and if you are the financially dependent spouse in your marriage and you have custody of your child, you should strongly consider speaking with a knowledgeable Morristown child support lawyer today. Contact Graves Andrews, LLC to learn more about how we can assist you in obtaining the child support both you and your child require.

Do I Need a Morristown Child Support Lawyer?

When it comes to child support, you and your child have a lot on the line. Fortunately, New Jersey courts–and our Morristown family law attorneys–both understand this and will hold your child’s best interests above all else. That being said, to obtain a child support agreement that truly works for your child’s best interests, you must have an attorney on your side who can prove you truly need it.

How is Child Support Determined in New Jersey?

New Jersey courts consider a wide array of factors when determining a child support agreement. To start, they will turn to the New Jersey Child Support Guidelines, which essentially states that families with a combined yearly net income between $8,840 and $187,200 will have to share the child’s expenses proportionally. In most cases, the financially independent parent will be the payor, and the other parent will be the payee. However, if you fall outside the child support guidelines or there are other complicating circumstances, courts will examine various additional factors when determining your child support agreement. They are as follows:

  • The child’s standard of living
  • Each party’s age and health
  • Whether the child has special needs
  • Each party’s yearly salary
  • Each party’s earning capacity
  • The child’s medical, educational, and other needs
  • Each party’s assets and liabilities
  • The child custody agreement in place
  • Any other factor the court deems relevant

Modifying Child Support

Oftentimes in New Jersey, when a child turns 19, he or she is considered emancipated, meaning he or she will no longer require child support. In this case, the supporting parent can request a termination of child support. However, in other cases, such as when a child plans on attending higher education or university, or if a child has special needs, the supporting parent can formally request an extension on child support payments. Our firm can help you obtain the post-judgment modification that best suits you and your child’s needs.

Contact a Morristown Child Support Lawyer

Whether you are the payor or payee of child support, you cannot afford to go through the process on your own. Our firm is dedicated to protecting the well-being of children across the state of New Jersey, and we are ready to assist you from start to finish. Contact Graves Andrews, LLC today to schedule your initial consultation with our firm.