You may get a sinking feeling when you see red and blue lights flashing in your rearview mirror and hear the sound of police sirens wailing. What’s worse is if you are unsure why you are being pulled over by a law enforcement officer in the first place. But if your police stop results in a traffic ticket, you must gain legal representation. Continue reading to learn why you need an experienced Morristown traffic violation lawyer at Graves Andrews, LLC if you get a traffic ticket.
Why might I get a traffic ticket in the state of New Jersey?
First of all, you must understand the reasoning behind the issuance of your traffic ticket. That is, a law enforcement officer may have pulled you over for any of the following circumstances:
- A law enforcement officer may have believed that you were driving well above the enforced speed limit.
- A law enforcement officer may have believed that you were using your cell phone while behind the wheel.
- A law enforcement officer may have believed that you were driving recklessly on the New Jersey roads.
Do I need a lawyer if I get a traffic ticket in the state of New Jersey?
A common misconception is that, upon receiving a traffic ticket, you simply need to pay a small fee and go on your way. On the contrary, other, more severe penalties may be associated with your traffic ticket in the state of New Jersey. They are as follows:
- Penalties for speeding:
- Over the speed limit by one to 14 miles per hour (mph): two points on your driver’s license.
- Over the speed limit by 15 to 30 mph: four points.
- Over the speed limit by more than 30 mph: five points.
- Penalties for cell phone usage while driving:
- First offense: a $200 to $400 fine.
- Second offense within 10 years: a $400 to $600 fine.
- Third offense within 10 years: a $600 to $800 fine; three points on your driver’s license; 90-day license suspension.
- Penalties for reckless driving:
- First offense: a $200 fine; five points on your driver’s license; up to 60 days in jail.
- Second offense: a $500 fine; five points on your driver’s license; up to 90 days in jail.
With all that being said, it is in your best interest to acquire a lawyer upon receiving a traffic ticket so that you may be shielded from the ramifications of a guilty verdict. This is because points on your driver’s license may raise your insurance premiums, and you may have to pay for this alongside your hefty fees. On top of this, serving jail time may affect your current employment and your overall reputation. Overall, these are consequences that you want to avoid at all costs.
At the end of the day, if you received a traffic ticket, you need a skilled Morristown traffic violation lawyer by your side. Contact Graves Andrews, LLC to retain our services today.