wooden gavel concept

The state of New Jersey considers domestic violence to be a serious offense, and as such has enacted some of the most protective laws in the United States to ensure that victims can receive protection against their abusers from the courts. Since domestic violence is something that occurs in the privacy of the family home behind closed doors, it usually takes far too much time for victims to speak out and seek justice. But if you are a victim of domestic violence, continue reading to learn how an experienced Morristown domestic violence lawyer at Graves Andrews, LLC can work on your behalf to obtain a restraining order to protect you.

How does the state of New Jersey define domestic violence?

By New Jersey law, domestic violence is considered an act of physical, verbal, sexual, or psychological abuse that occurs between intimate partners who are married, dating, or living together, or a former or current household member.

Specifically, with the New Jersey Prevention of Domestic Violence Act of 1991, victims of domestic violence are able to seek both criminal and civil relief from the abuser.

What should I do if I am a victim of domestic violence?

First and foremost, if you are in immediate danger, it is in your best interest to call the police directly to get you to safety. From there, you can receive a temporary restraining order from your local family court or local police department.

Within 10 days of issuing a temporary restraining order against the abuser, the New Jersey court will schedule a hearing. Here, you and your attorney will make an argument to prove that the incidents of abuse did indeed occur. With this defense, you must provide a sufficient amount of evidence, which can be anything from threatening text messages to medical documents related to your injuries from the abuser. If your defense is successful, the court will make the temporary restraining order final. This finalized restraining order will prevent the abuser from contacting you. And if you share children with your abuser, it will likely lead to a modification of your child custody settlement agreement.

Additionally, during this time, you can simultaneously file criminal charges against the abuser through a Criminal Complaint where you reside, where the abuser resides, where you are currently being sheltered, or where your incident occurred.

If you require further assistance with filing a restraining order or overall require safety, you must not hesitate in reaching out to an understanding Morristown criminal defense lawyer as immediately as possible.

Contact Our Experienced New Jersey Firm

Contact Graves Andrews, LLC to schedule an initial consultation with our experienced Morris County family law attorneys to learn more about our services and how we can assist you.