engagement ring concept

Deciding to marry your fiancé means blending your separate lives into one. This may entail, if you so desire, changing your last name to the same one your fiancé holds. It may be easy to change your name on your social media accounts and have your close friends and family members start calling you by it. However, having your new name legally recognized by state and federal authorities may be a different story. Continue reading to learn how to change your name after marriage and how an experienced Morristown family law attorney at Graves Andrews, LLC can help make this legal process as seamless as possible.

How do I change my last name after marriage?

First of all, the amount of important people or institutions you must formally provide proof of your last name change may be more than you initially realize. Just to name a few, there is the Social Security Administration, the Department of Motor Vehicles, your credit card or lending institutions, your banking and financial institutions, and your employer.

However, you may rest easier knowing that your marriage certificate may disclose your new last name. That said, you may provide a copy of your marriage certificate to these agencies as proof of your formal name change. This may have to be alongside different forms of proof, though, depending on the specific guidelines of each agency.

It is worth mentioning that choosing to hyphenate your maiden name with your newlywed spouse’s last name may call for a different process than if you would have simply taken their last name. Meaning, a hyphenated name may require you to undergo the state’s formal name change process. Specifically, this may entail filing a verified complaint with the New Jersey Superior Court, among other legal processes. This may call for proper legal representation.

How do I change my last name in the event of a divorce?

Understandably, it may have been hard work to change your last name after marriage. So it is frustrating if you have to undo all this hard work and change it back to your maiden name after a divorce.

Though, changing your last name once again may not be as complex as you anticipate. This is because your final divorce judgment may disclose your maiden name. Meaning that you may use this document as a form of proof for the important people and institutions you must inform.

If, for some reason, your divorce decree still displays your married name, you may have to return to the New Jersey family court and petition for a modification. If still not successful, you may have to undergo the state’s formal name change process. Again, this may require legal advisement.

If you are unsure of your next move, resort to a skilled Morristown family law attorney. Someone at Graves Andrews, LLC will know which legal option works in your best interest. So call our firm today.