Child endangerment penalties are not taken lightly in the state of New Jersey. If you have been accused of child endangerment, it is best to retain the services of an experienced Morristown criminal defense lawyer who can assist you with these charges and explore all avenues of defense on your behalf. To learn more about child endangerment convictions in New Jersey, continue reading. Here are some questions you may have:
What are the child endangerment laws in New Jersey?
New Jersey’s statutes for child endangerment laws are as follows:
- “Any person having a legal duty for the care of a child who has assumed responsibility for the care of a child who engages in sexual conduct which would impair or debauch the morals of the child is guilty of a crime of the second degree. Any other person who engages in conduct or who causes harm as described in this paragraph to a child is guilty of a crime of the third degree.”
- “Any person having a legal duty for the care of a child or who has assumed responsibility for the care of a child who causes the child harm that would make the child an abused or neglected child as defined in R.S. 9:6-1, R.S. 9:6-3 and P.L. 1974, c. 119, § 1 is guilty of a crime of the second degree. Any other person who engages in conduct or who causes harm as described in this paragraph to a child is guilty of a crime of the third degree.”
What happens if I am convicted of child endangerment in New Jersey?
If you are convicted of child endangerment in New Jersey, you may face a variety of penalties that have the potential to impact your future for years to come. The following are the three degrees of child endangerment and their consequences:
- Third-Degree: Those convicted of third-degree child endangerment may face up to 5 years in prison in New Jersey.
- Second-Degree: Those convicted of second-degree child endangerment may face up to 10 years in state prison in New Jersey.
- First-Degree: Those convicted of first-degree child endangerment in New Jersey may face 20 years in state prison and fines of up to $250,000.
Our legal team at Graves Andrews, LLC is prepared to assist you with your charges, no matter the case. Give our firm a call today to learn more about how we can fight for your rights in court. Contact our team to schedule your initial consultation.
Contact Our Experienced New Jersey Firm
Graves Andrews, LLC is an experienced Morris County family law & criminal defense law firm serving all of New Jersey. Contact Graves Andrews, LLC to schedule an initial consultation to learn more about our services and how we can assist you. Reach out to our experienced attorneys today to get started.