To discover when child support payments typically come to an end in New Jersey, continue reading. For assistance with your family law matters, do not hesitate to reach out to our experienced New Jersey family law attorney. Our firm is prepared to assist you, no matter the circumstances. Here are some questions you may have regarding child support payments in New Jersey:
How do New Jersey courts determine child support agreements?
The best interests of the child will always be considered first and foremost by New Jersey courts when determining child support agreements. The courts will also consider the following factors to come to a conclusion:
- Your child’s age
- You and your spouse’s age and health
- You and your spouse’s yearly salary
- The number of children you have living in your household
- Whether your child plans on receiving higher education
- Whether your child has a regular income
- Whether your child has special needs
- Any other factor that the court deems relevant
When can I stop paying child support in New Jersey?
When a child reaches the age of 19 in New Jersey, they will no longer be entitled to child support payments. There are some exceptions to this law under specific circumstances:
- Parents may request an extension on child support payments if their child has special needs, depending on the needs.
- Parents of children receiving higher education may request an extension on the child support payments until they reach the age of 23.
What circumstances allow a child to have the right to emancipate themselves?
The child will gain the legal right to emancipate themselves if they meet one of the following criteria:
- They are no longer living with either parent
- They are married
- They are pregnant or has children of their own
- They are financially independent and have a full-time job
- They joined or are joining the military
If you require assistance with any child support matters, do not hesitate to reach out to our experienced New Jersey family law attorney. If you have any further questions regarding this process, the legal team at Graves Andrews, LLC is prepared to help. Give our firm a call to learn more about our services and how we can assist you and your specific circumstances, We would be happy to schedule your initial consultation with our team when you are ready. Pick up the phone today to get started.
Contact Our Experienced New Jersey Firm
Graves Andrews, LLC is an experienced Morris County family law & criminal defense law firm serving all of New Jersey. Contact Graves Andrews, LLC to schedule an initial consultation to learn more about our services and how we can assist your upcoming legal process. Reach out to our experienced attorneys today to get started.