father son concept

You may argue that, as a stay-at-home parent, you spend more time caring for and bonding with your child than your spouse. However, it can also be argued that, as a stay-home-parent, you do not have the financial means to support your child in the event that you divorce your spouse. Continue reading to learn whether you will receive more custody rights as a stay-at-home parent and how an experienced Morristown child custody lawyer at Graves Andrews, LLC can fight this battle on your behalf.

Will I receive custody over my child as a stay-at-home parent?

There is no straightforward answer when it comes to which parent, or if both parents, will be granted custody over their child. This is because the New Jersey courts will consider many factors when making this decision. Plus, the court believes that one parent earning more than a stay-at-home parent is not enough reason alone for them to win custody.

With that being said, a parent who chooses to stay home to care for their child will find it difficult to win custody based on financials alone. However, the court will also consider how difficult of a job this parent has in bringing up the child and forgoing an income to do so.

Additionally, a divorce can be a financially distressing situation as it is. So for a stay-at-home parent who has not worked outside of the home in a long time, this can be even more financially challenging. The courts will have to consider what alimony and child support will be necessary when making their child custody decision, as well.

What should I do to increase my chances of custody of my child?

If you want to increase your chances of custody, one of the most important actions that you can take is to seek employment. Unfortunately, your family situation will not be the same after your divorce, which consequently means your financial situation will not be the same. This is why it is necessary to take the initiative in becoming financially independent so that you can care for your child on your own.

If you remain unemployed, you will send a message to the courts that you are not willing to take on the financial responsibilities of caring for your child and that you are going to solely rely on alimony and child support. But if you retain a job, you will send a message to the courts about how much your child means to you and the lengths you are willing to take to have the right to be with them.

With all things considered, we recommend that you employ a skilled Morristown family law attorney from our firm. We will use every legal strategy possible to ensure that your child remains in your care. Call us today.