mother holding children

There is nothing more important to a parent than the well-being of their child. Unfortunately, after a divorce, a child’s well-being may be at stake, especially when one parent begins taking part in what is known as parental alienation. Continue reading and reach out to our experienced Morristown child custody lawyer to learn more about parental alienation and how you, in conjunction with our firm, can put an end to it. Here are some of the questions you may have:

What is parental alienation?

Parental alienation is when one parent continuously tries to sabotage their child’s relationship with their other parent. Parental alienation can impact a child for the rest of his or her life, and though some parents realize this, for others, they don’t even understand the potential impacts of what they are doing. Parental alienation can come in various forms. For some, it’s little backhanded remarks about their ex to their child, while for others, it’s outright insults about the other parent. In some cases, parents will even lie to their children about the other parent to try and turn their child against them. Regardless of the form it comes in, parental alienation is wrong and should never be undertaken. Fortunately, there are ways to put an end to it.

How can I put an end to my ex trash-talking me to our child?

As with most family-related issues, the best first option is to simply speak with your ex, inform them that you know what they’re doing and how it’s affecting your child. Though this is the simplest way to discourage this behavior, unfortunately, it doesn’t always work. If your ex continues trying to sabotage your relationship with your child even after speaking with him or her, you should consider speaking with a seasoned Morristown family law attorney who can work to attain a child custody modification on your behalf. Parental alienation never works in a child’s best interests, as multiple studies show the significant and long-term negative impacts it can have on a child, so if we can prove this behavior is occurring, we may receive a child custody modification on the basis that your ex is violating your custody agreement by failing to act in your child’s best interests. If you have further questions about parental alienation or attaining a modification to your custody agreement, simply give us a call today. We are here to help in any way we can.

Contact Our Experienced New Jersey Firm

Graves Andrews, LLC is an experienced Morris County family law & criminal defense law firm serving all of New Jersey. Contact Graves Andrews, LLC to schedule an initial consultation to learn more about our services and how we can assist you. Reach out to our experienced attorneys today to get started.