hand holding cash

To learn how you can enforce your alimony agreement if your spouse is no longer making regular alimony payments, continue reading and reach out to our experienced New Jersey alimony attorney.

What should I do if I am not receiving my alimony payments?

It is possible that your former spouse may have recently lost their job or suffered a serious injury that caused them to stop making alimony payments. An experienced alimony attorney can assist you in contacting your former spouse from a neutral point of view if this is the case. This process may assist many spouses who would otherwise find difficulty discussing this with their former spouse. You may modify your existing agreement if your former spouse has a legitimate reason for not making these payments. However, arrears will still need to be paid.

If your spouse is refusing to make regular payments or if they do not have a legitimate reason for the lack of payments, you will have to take legal action to enforce your alimony agreement. This can be done with the assistance of an experienced attorney. Our divorce attorney is prepared to help when you are ready. Give us a call today to learn more about how we can work to communicate with your former spouse with a calm and neutral approach to assess the situation.

What are motions to enforce alimony agreements?

You will need an attorney in your corner who can assist you in filing a motion to enforce your alimony agreement. This motion may include your own preferences. You can include a request for all late payments, legal fee reimbursements, and future payments to be made in a timely manner.

If the notice of motion for reinforcement of the alimony agreement is found in good standing, the court will take the following steps to recoup your payments:

  • Seize property of the other party in order to sell the items to raise funds for alimony payments
  • Place liens on owned properties in order to raise funds upon sale
  • Garnish wages in order to secure payment
  • Work directly with banks to deduct funds directly from checking or savings accounts
  • Find the other party in contempt of court which is a criminal offense

If you have any additional questions about this process, do not hesitate to reach out to our attorney who has specific experience with enforcing alimony agreements.

Contact Our Experienced New Jersey Firm

Graves Andrews, LLC is an experienced Morris County family law & criminal defense law firm serving all of New Jersey. Contact Graves Andrews, LLC to schedule an initial consultation to learn more about our services and how we can assist you. Reach out to our experienced attorneys today to get started.